This article contains detailed information on the Nelson Mandela University, NMU application process, and requirements for admission into graduate, Undergraduate Degree, Diploma Programmes and Postgraduate for the 2023 academic year.
The managements of NMU invite applications from suitably qualified candidates who are high school leavers, non-school leavers, and graduates from recognized institutions for admission into the various Postgraduate programs offered by the institution for the 2023 academic session on full-time and Part-Time basis. Applications are humbly invited from suitably qualified candidates.
Nelson Mandela University Application Guidelines
Before you start your online application, please take note of the following. Online applications must be submitted by the respective closing dates as indicated. Places are limited and it is therefore in your best interest to submit your online application as early as possible. Please ensure that you have completed both online application sections and submitted all your supporting documentation. Application to the Nelson Mandela University, NMU is is basically online and by post by following the following steps stated below.
Nelson Mandela University Undergraduate/Postgraduate Application Procedures
Nelson Mandela University Online Application Procedure
- Apply for either an Undergraduate, Advanced Diploma or Postgraduate studies (PG Diploma, PG Certificate, Honours, Master’s or Doctoral Degrees) online through the admission link below.
- Postgraduate applicants must also complete the relevant Postgraduate form (U24) which can be obtained from the PG admissions office.
- Make sure you have paid the Application fee (international students only), before submitting your application form.
- Your application form must be accompanied by:
- a certified copy of your final Grade 11 exam results or;
- a most recent Grade 12 (June/Sept) exam report (No March results), or if you have already passed Grade 12, a certified copy of your matriculation certificate, or results as well as certified copies of diploma/degree certificates and academic records for postgraduate applications,
- a certified copy of your ID/Passport,
- a certified copy of the identity document of your parent/legal guardian/surety,
- declaration by your parent / legal guardian/surety if you are a dependent, or currently at school, or studying at a tertiary institution, or have recently left school and do/will not have permanent employment when applying or studying at the university.
- Either an acknowledgement letter or outcome of your admission will be sent to you within 10 working days from April to June. During the period leading up to the closing dates stipulated above the turnaround time will be 14 – 20 working days.
- If your Applicant Score (AS) and subject-specific marks do not meet the entry requirements for your chosen program, you will need to consider another qualification as we no longer test applicants for admission, unless otherwise indicated.
- Some programs have additional selection requirements; please consult the Undergraduate Guide for your specific faculty which can be downloaded from the links on the right of this page (available from May).
- You may track the status of your application through the link below.
- The outcome of your application will be conveyed to you via our website and SMS. Please ensure that we have your correct cell phone number.
- If you are provisionally admitted you will receive an Orientation Booklet together with registration information in November/December.
- Final acceptance is subject to your final NSC/IEB results meeting the minimum admission requirements for your chosen program.
Interested applicants applying for a new qualification must submit the necessary documents. The due date for uploading the required documents is the closing date for applications. Documents submitted after the closing date for applications will be accepted. Nelson Mandela University is not liable to provide scanners or electronic devices. Always ensure that your documents are scanned and uploaded to an electronic device before starting the application process.
NMU Application Fees
The due date for the application fee is the closing date for the application period. Any application submitted without an application fee paid on time will not be processed. Please ensure that you keep a copy of your proof of payment.
Importantly make sure that your application is complete
If your application for admission to study through Nelson Mandela University is incomplete, you will have to re-apply during the next application period.
Nelson Mandela University Application Required Documents
To apply to NMU you need to submit the following documentation:
- A completed application form
- A copy of your results for the latest school year
- A copy of your ID
- If you have attended another higher education institution, we need a copy of your academic transcript
Your completed application form must be accompanied by proof that the required application fee has been paid.
NMU Application for International Students
Before being permitted to register at NMU, international students are required to show proof of:
- A valid study visa
- South African medical aid cover
- English proficiency
For more information about the above, tuition and registration fees, and other requirements, please visit the International website.
Nelson Mandela University, NMU Online Application Portal.
- To apply online, go to http://applyonline.mandela.ac.za/apply
- To apply online, you will need
- Internet access.
- A valid personal email address (should you not have an e-mail account, please open one before proceeding with your online application).
- Your latest school results – Example: Grade 11 final or grade 12 June or September or final school-leaving results – No Grade 12 March results.
- A valid SA ID number or passport number
- A valid cell number correctly, as your application status will be communicated via cellphone